lunes, 19 de enero de 2015

Don´t try this at home



This week Sunday´s post (a.k.a yesterday´s post) had to be delayed due to some inconvenience.
Specifically, due to the consequences of a little accident I had on Saturday morning. Before you go all worried about me, I must reassert it was actually a minor event, although it could have been quite serious under the circumstances, which I will explain to you in a moment.
Well, first of all I should clarify this very event had nothing to do with my own clumsiness. I have told you about it repeteadly, so you know recognizing my lack of ability is not an issue. In this ocassion, the direct cause of misfortune was other people´s behaviour. Now I will put it on record.





On Saturday morning, The Gentle One and I headed to Cismigiu Park, a beautiful green area in the town centre whose main lake gets frozen at this time of the year.
For some reason, we thought ice skating was the perfect plan for a chilly January weekend and Cismigiu looked like the perfect option.
Generally, we don´t enjoy big crowded places that much, and as Saturday´s morning was a foggy one, we though most people would just postpone their visit to the ice ring.
We were quite wrong.
As soon as we got there, we found the place considerably crowded with mums and dads teaching their kids how to skate. That was fine to us, as we assumed they would be skating slow and safe. I mean, you don´t risk that much when you are with your kindergarden kid, right?
Wrong again.


Outfit rundown: coat - Primark (previously featured here) / beret - H&M (Divided) / scarf - Hymalayan Accents / tights & socks - Calzedonia.


 After aking these pictures I started peacefully skating around the circle.
Most families would slowly skate around it too, and many other grown-ups fasted a bit more around the circle central point (which by the way is totally safe, as the lake is not deep and even if the ice cracks it is impossible for you to drown: the water woud just cover your knees). The thing is, everybody was having fun on a calm and tidy way until then.

I was skating around the grown ups area when suddenly and coming from nowhere, I saw this couple carrying their baby child on the wrong side of the ring: they were skating against the people stream! As you may imagine, that´s against the safety rules.
Unfortunately for me, I saw them when I was too close to them.
So the options were crashing into them (AND their baby) or trying a last-minute sidestep.
So a sidestep it was.

I am quite sure you can conclude the results by yourselves.
I totally overbalanced and fell down my back, hitting my head on the ice in the process.
After the crash, I needed help to get up again and had to be examined by the local emergency station staff. I am glad to say it was not serious.
Nevertheless, I´ve been in the need of painkillers since then.
My back hurts and I´ve got a good size lump on the head, so an apparently unhurtful walk and a bunch of skating outfit pictures finished on a grumpy Violette.

Next time I feel like skating, I think I will just go midnight, or something.

So tell me darlings, how was your weekend?




14 comentarios:

  1. Wth? First off, why bring a baby to an ice rink? That's ridiculous, what could it possibly gain from that experience at such a young and incapacitated point in its life? And then to have a complete disregard for safety precautions?! You might as well let it crawl into the road or leave it on an escalator. People are stupid. Such is the reason I avoid public spaces like malls and fairs. I hope you're feeling better.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, that´s exactly what I thought. Many people was trying to teach how to skate to kids who could barely walk by themselves, it was simply stupid and pointless, not to speak about how negligent it is. I mean, young kids don´t even have their skull completely closed and formed, even whith the slightlest fall they can get easily injured. Sometimes I think people should pass an exam to raise children.

      Eliminar
  2. Omg sweetie!!! I hope you are okay, although I believe that lump will take a while to heal... I hate unreasonal people like that so much!
    And imagine they were acting like that against the safety of their own child! Weekends are hellish in Bucharest's parks, I think the best way to avoid it is to go during the week.
    Get well soon (gives hug)!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I am quite ok now, sugar, although the lump is still annoying me. I suspect it will be like this for some time, as you said. I think I will follow your advice and try during the working days next time. Maybe it will be ok that way.

      Eliminar
  3. Thank goodness you weren't more seriously injured, although a sore back and lump on your head isn't fun either! How could people, and holding a baby no less, ever think it was a good idea to skate against the flow? Crowds ... there's a good reason to stay home and read. :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I know what you mean, Insominac. I normally avoid crowded places and that´s the reason why we tried on a foggy morning, but it looks like people doesn´t care about those little details anymore.

      Eliminar
  4. I am very mad with those people, so irresponsible! That poor child! I hope your accident made them realise the danger, someone less skilled than you would have hit them! Sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. As a matter of fact, they barely looked back when I felt down, so I feel they didn´t think it was THEIR fault.
      People can be quite uncivic... If I start considering the whole story again, I will go reall angry, I am afraid.

      Eliminar
  5. It could have been so much worse. I hope you are feeling better.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thankie Variations of light. My back doesn´t feel sore anymore, but the lump will take some more time, I guess...

      Eliminar
  6. Omg, some people are just too stupid! I hope you are okay now!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I am afraid they are! I am ok, except for my ofended sense of dignity. Hahaha.

      Eliminar
  7. Ouch! I am glad you are not badly hurt. Those people were very silly! Especially bringing their baby with them; if they were unable to get proper childcare, they should have decided not to go skating at all, especially if they were going to be so reckless while skating.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, their behaviour was just inexcusable. I wonder how often they put their chil on such a risk...

      Eliminar